Content

Search This Blog

Be Brave: A Gates Millennium Essay Entry

This is one of my Gates Millennium Essay entries.



The most significant challenge that society faces today is the acceptance of people, cultures and places. Society needs to look past our preconceived notions and embrace cultural differences as a learning experience. Personally, I have experienced discrimination from being a woman and a young person.
I have become familiar with the stereotypes that come with being a woman, particularly being a black woman. I have noticed that when I am with my male friends I am often overshadowed by their dominance and the overall fact that they are men. These experiences have influenced me to become more assertive and outspoken. However, I have also learned that there is a thin line for women in relation to being assertive and being bossy.
 As a black woman when I am confident and assertive there are constant stereotypical comments that compare a black woman’s femininity to being masculine in a negative way. As a woman, I want to be taken seriously. Therefore, I had to step up and not be overshadowed by men, who work with me competitively. I am no longer afraid of being seen as bossy, I go for what I want.
I have experienced being discriminated against because of my age. In 2011, I had an opportunity to attend a screening for the film, “Race to Nowhere”. The film talks about the education system; focusing on the idea that high schools are pushing student to learn recall skills and not how to evaluate, analyze and synthesize.
After viewing the film I noticed a lot of similarities with my school. I shared the film with friends and I eventually ended up presenting the concept to the principal at the time. She heard us out, but it was obvious from the beginning of the meeting that her mind was made up and because of our age we were not taken seriously. I did not know then that this was an instance of Adultism. Adultism is the unjust treatment of someone due to experience or age.
Prior to these experiences, I had not been in a lot of situations where I felt treated unfairly. While my principal was not receptive, I spoke to others about the film and my experience with the principal. This sparked more opportunities, one in which I was able to travel and speak on a panel about the film and my presentation with the principal. I was able to inspire and educate other about adultism.
I did not let these experiences hinder me. Instead, I used these experiences as opportunities to better myself. All of these encounters with discrimination have shaped me into the woman I am now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Itzbaileyable . Powered by Blogger.

Total Pageviews

Follow Me With Bloglovin!

Follow on Bloglovin